Haliburton and Essex family - various notes and cards.
Isaiah is hugging donor's father from behind. Donor's mother attended and brought her children to St. Paul's Baptist Church when living in DC.
The back cover of the scrapbook.
Exhibit "A" Boundary Description
Section D: Project Proposals. Statement of Special Conditions. Property Rehabilitation and Conservation Standards.
Lot 6 Block 35 Urban Renewal Authority Parcel 3 Lot 10 Possibly Walter W. Bey
Photograph of the members of the Lakeland High "last class" of 1950, pictured in 2000 on their trip to Wildwood, New Jersey. These classmates have maintained lifelong friendships. The group enjoys evenings out, picnics, and trips together. They also sponsor the Edgar A. Smith Scholarship--named for Lakeland High School's longtime principal--an award given to graduates of local high schools.
Communal meals are a traditional part of celebrations at Lakeland’s churches. Members of Embry A.M.E. Church have lunch in their parish hall following a Sunday service in 1943. Among those at the table are the pastor, Rev. Jesse A. Williams (wearing the collar), and his wife, seated to his right; and former pastor Rev. Herman R. Curtis and his wife (far side of the table, first and second from the left). At the head of the table to the right is Leon Robinson, a longtime church member and trustee.
The oral history of Mrs. Mildred Ridgley Gray was conducted by Anna Bruton, Jennie Chaplin, and Julie Chen on Sunday, December 13th, 2009. Before transferring to Lakeland Junior/Senior High School for six months, Mrs. Mildred Ridgley Gray taught at Fairmont Heights Elementary School. She transferred to Lakeland Junior/High School, where she taught the seventh grade, because there was an urgent need for a teacher knowledgeable about CORE courses. The CORE courses included Geography and Civics, and she indicated that these courses were demanded by the state; Mr. Edgar Smith was the principal at this time. She recalled the school as being a two row school house. Mrs. Gray indicated that the first Colored Supervisor of Elementary Schools was Mrs. Wiggington Brown, who was a staunch advocate for better school conditions. Under Mrs. Brown’s stellar leadership, a critical document - ”Survey of Colored Schools” was published by The Colored Public Schools Trust and discussed the Lakeland schools and their unfair conditions. She spoke fondly of Robert R. Gray, a resident of Lakeland and principal of Fairmont Heights Elementary School, who was also the founder of the credit union for teachers. This founding of the credit union was significant because no one before Robert Gray had founded a credit union. While teaching at Lakeland, she attended Embry AME Church and remembers the congregation as having very close community ties; also, these people united in achieving common goals of education and religious/spiritual guidance for their families. She found the Lakeland community very progressive for its time, and each individual worked diligently performing mostly government jobs. When asked about how Lakelanders used their yard spaces, Mrs. Gray said there was much open space so that children could dance, play music, play baseball, play with dogs and cats; she also noticed the existence of a community garden. Additionally, the children played music in the yards, sang to the current music and danced to the current dances. When asked about her desire to educate children; she discussed her family and noted the following: her grandfather was an ex-slave who came to the area around the time of the Civil War; her parents believed in education; mother sought education and donated her land to build Ridegley School, which will be placed on the National Register.
Various photos of friends and family.
Dervey and Thelma Lomax in celebration of their 50th wedding anniversary renewed their vows in a garden event at their home on Navahoe Street. Rev. Milton Covington, their pastor from First Baptist Church officiated just as he had fifty years before.
Section C: Land Use Plan (cont'd Land Use Provisions and Building Requirements). Regulations, Controls and Restrictions section, cont'd. Light Industrial Use Areas subsection.
At the time of these progress reports Lakeland ES was segregated. Located on 54th and Lakeland, right across the railroad tracks. The principal at this time was Edgar Smith. Smith was principal from about 1928 when school opened to about 1968. Smith not native of Lakeland.
Handwritten family tree with drawn family portrait.
Continuing with photos of the students as they were in 1985 with a short bio.