Plat of property lines in Lakeland showing developer Edwin Newman's grand plan for his new subdivision.
Evening Star Page June 21, 1890 Plans have been completed by architect, Arthur M. Poynton for two cottages to be built in Lakeland by Edwin A. Newman. They are modish in exteriors as to allow more expensive for inclusion of large well lite spaces at modest cost. Mr. Newman plans to build a number of these homes. Their selling price will be about $1,500 each.
James F. Brooks, Post Master The Baltimore Sun
Washington Post Page 14 Outside of the City Limits Millions Have Been Invested A Comprehensive Review of the Marvelous Development Which is in Progress Around the Nations Capital Edwin A. Newman owner of Lakeland named the lake in honor of his wife. The lake covers an area of 7 acres and is 5 feet deep. It is fed by more than 100 springs and a 20 inch pipe from Paint Branch. The lake was created 20 years ago by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad when they harvested gravel for ballast. Newman improved the site as a lake. He is now developing the surrounding area as a twelve and a half acre park. This will include stocking the lake with about 10,000 bass, adding plants and pleasure boats. Sidewalks and an electric light plant will be added and there is a post office. A weekly newspaper will be published. Improvements are valued at $135,000 with $65,000 more improvements expected in the l next 8 months. Listed are some of the community’s residents and property owners.
Washington Post Ad More homes at Lakeland 6 to 10 room cottages costing $2,200 to $4,500.
Washington Post Citizens Claim to Have Been Defrauded in a Real Estate Deal Charles S. Zange and Joseph W. Zimmerman sued Edwin A. Newman and John H. Flanggan charging the four lots they purchased in Lakeland were misrepresented. They understood the lots to be on a plateau. Upon seeing the land they found the lots to be in a hollow and to to be particularly made up of a creek. Zange and Zimmerman are asking the court to cancel the sale and note and that their payment be refunded to them. The land is in Lakeland an area formally known as West Charlton.
Conjunctural location of first location of First Baptist Church on Hopkins Atlas
Evening Star January 17 1894 Newspaper Special Notice Second Grand Entertainment and Ball Hosted by Lakeland Knights of Pythias Lodge on Thursday January 18 1894. Talented entertainers are booked for the event and there will be good rail arrangements. The entertainment starts at 7:30 and dancing at 10:00 pm. Those with tickets from December 27, 1893 will be admitted. Music will be provided by Prof. Joyce and their orchestra.
Collection of ice from branch. Gathering of people at lake for ice skating. Washington Post
Thirty -two miles to Washington"...line will touch every important town including Laurel, Savage, Lakeland, College Park and Hyattsville." Baltimore Sun
Evening Star News Article Page 10 Several people at Lakeland saw a meteor burn across the sky and fall into the lake.
Evening Star January 7 1895 page 10 Newspaper Column Hyattsville This column contains many news items for the region. Only that directly related to Lakeland is noted here. Young ladies and gentlemen from Hyattsville went ice skating on the lake in Lakeland last Saturday evening.
Washington Post March 30, 1896 Page 10 Reservoir Needed for the Columbia and Maryland Power-house. A contract was awarded for construction of a dam and reservoir on Paint Branch between College Park and Lakeland for the supply of water to the power house of the electric railway. It will be about 200 yards west of the tracks of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad a bridge to cross Paint Branch will be in the same area.
Evening Star News Article Lakeland Democratic Club Parade Edwin Newman will be directing a parade by the Lakeland Democratic club today. They will march the main streets of Washington DC. Members will meet at 4 o'clock. The group completed a tour of major southern Maryland towns on Saturday.
Evening Star Newspaper Article Early Completion of Columbia and Maryland Electric Road Detailed Description of the System Power House and Plant Being Constructed at Lakeland Location of powerhouse is thanks to the efforts of Edwin Newman. Article covers two whole columns.
Washington Evening Times Page 8 One Half Actual Cost Will Buy This Valuable Store Property Ad with drawing of two homes with outbuildings Two store buildings for sale opposite the B&O Railroad Station at Lakeland. Lots are 43 feet front and 150 feet deep This ad appeared several times.
The times. [volume] (Washington [D.C.]) June 10, 1897, Page 8, Real Estate Ad with Drawing Ad with drawing of House with hands adding coins and bills into it Headline – Put Your Money In a House States many benefits of purchase of a house “Every young man should start in life with a trim little cottage as ballast and anchor”. Then advertises homes available in Lakeland which “can be bought very cheap…” 4 room house for $700, 5 room $700, 6 rooms $1000… and a store with 7 rooms for $2000…”
Tracking on Electric Road From Rivers to Berwin Heights to Begin Today Baltimore Sun
4th Class Postmaster, John Richard Ihrie for Lakeland Baltimore Sun
Evening Star Page 24 On the 22nd the Imperial Minstrels from Branchville performed and hosted a hop at the hall in Lakeland. The event was under the management of W. M. Dyer.
Grandmother of Bernice Lancaster Walls
The Baltimore Sun Page 9 April 16, 1900 A home owned by Mr. Newman and Charles Scobell burned yesterday. They were two of the best and largest homes in Lakeland. Both were empty as residents had moved out. The fires were noticed about 1 am and could not be saved.
Washington Post April 16, 1900 Page 9 Suspensions of Indignation - One House Blazes Up While Frist is Burning About 1:00 in the morning a nice unoccupied cottage in Lakeland was discovered to be on fire. While attempts were being made to save part of the building it another home about 300 yards away was discovered to be burning as well. It is believed that the fires were intentional. The residences had been vacant for weeks. Colored people were angry that they were unable to rent the homes as only whites tenants were welcome. The cottages had been built by Mr. E. A. Newman and were owned by a trust company located in Philadelphia. Both home valued at a total of $2,000 were insured against loss. A careful investigation of the fire will be made.
Washington Post Page 18 Column Things Heard and Seen Several short stories make up the column. Only that relating to Lakeland is noted here. A woman was observed on the streetcar. The writer describes her as “big, fat, good natured colored woman” She boarded in the District of Columbia with a heavy bundle. When the car made a sudden stop the contents of her package, a turkey, fell to the floor. The woman picked up the bird and returned it to the container. She rode to Lakeland where she left the streetcar. The writer states the woman was on her way to Lakeland for “some kind of colored festival”.
Embry AME Church
Officers, Agents, Stations, Sidings and Mileage Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Official List No. 5 Page 26 showing Lakeland No agent is shown for that stop
Evening Star February 12 1904 p 16 Washington Branch Changes Changes to schedule of trains on Baltimore and Ohio Railroad effective at once: Local trains will leave Washington at 4:43 pm rather than 4:40 pm. Tran leaving Washington at 5:20 PM will stop at Brentwood, Riverdale, Lakeland, Berwyn and Sunnyside as well as the regular schedule.
Washington Post Potomac district conference of the Baltimore annual conference of the AME Church at Embry
William Van Valkenburg named as postmaster for Lakeland Washington Post
The Visiting Prince Much Pleased With His Visit Visit by the Maharajah Gaekwar of Baroda to Lakeland fisheries operation with Edwin Newman of Aquarium Fisheries
Evening Star May 29 1906 p 1 Will Depart Tomorrow- The Vising Indian Prince Much Pleased With His Visit. Tomorrow His highness the Maharaja Gaekwar of Baroda and his wife will leave Washington to go to Philadelphia. He described his time in Washington as “one of the most interesting visits in any city of any country”. After a two day stay in Philadelphia their highnesses will go to Boston then on to western states. During their visit in our region the maharaja gave a short address at National Park Seminary. The pair attended a dinner hosted by the French ambassador and Mme. Jusserand. He made a visit to the Smithsonian Museum and was given an automobile tour of various parks by Senator and Mrs. Elkins. They visited a reform school on Sunday morning accompanied by Shimont Sampatrao Gaekiyard. The group later visited the Maryland Agricultural College. President of the Aquarium Fisheries of Lakeland in Prince Georges county Maryland, Edward A. Newman took them to his facility for a visit. They seemed very interested in what they saw and had numerous questions. The maharajah said he had decided to establish a similar facility in India. The group next went to Luray caverns.
Edna S. Walters and Pleasant Brown
By the Aquarium Fisheries Company of Prince George’s County MD
College Park Aviation School From Aeroplane
Alfred Gross and Horace Brooks are pictured with a horse believed to be owned by Ferdinand Hughes, an uncle of Gross.
Aerial Photograph of lakes, airport and environs.
College Park Airport, Lakeland and area
Washington Times September 26, 1911 Page 9 Pictures Obtained From High Altitude Are Clear and Distinct Officers at the Army Aviation School at College Park have been experimenting with areal photography. Their results were good. Photos were taken from a Wright biplane traveling at thirty-five miles per hour at 500 feet using an ordinary lens. Lt. Kirkland was a passenger while Lt. Henry H. Arnold acted as pilot. Displayed in the newspaper edition three of the pictures. One shows large goldfish ponds at Lakeland. The photograph was taken from 800 above. Another image shows hangers at the airfield. The third picture shows truck farms and gardens between College Park and Hyattsville. Photos taken in this way would be useful in quickly establishing enemy fortifications. Army members will continue experimenting with taking pictures at increasing heights. Their goal is to successfully make usable images of the ground from an altitude 1,000 feet.
Hangers and ponds are visible along with portion of Lakeland
Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Time-Table 21 Shows Lakeland as a flag stop available several times a day. For example the 76:20 train leaving Baltimore’s Camden Station had stops in Branchville at 7:22, Berwyn at 7:23, Lakeland at 7:24, College at 7:26, and Riverdale at 7:28. Branchville and Berwyn were station stops where the others were flag stops where passengers were required to request the that the train stop.
The kitchen of University of Maryland around 1912 when it was still Maryland Agricultural College. It was nicknamed "Charles Dory's health resort"; pictured from left to right are Bill Dory (seated), Ferdinand Hughes, Spencer Dory, and Charlie Dory. Many Lakelanders worked here.
Showing Proposed Enlargement To 1,030 Acres- Exhibit to House Bill No. 27502 and Senate Bill No. 8108 Third Session 62nd Congress “A field of level land two & one half miles long and three-fourths of a mile wide, seven miles from the Capital building on the main line of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad between Washington and Baltimore. Four stations with sidings fronting on the property viz. Riverdale, College Park, Lakeland and Berwyn Electric railways and boulevards direct to Washington bordering the field on both sides” Third Session of 62nd Congress = 1912-1913
George Randall, Ellen Hunter Randall, and their three eldest children--Lucy, Dessie, and Victor, left to right--in about 1913.
George Isaac Walls moved to Lakeland from Westmoreland County, VA at the turn of the 20th century, ca. 1900. He married Hattie Dyce on November 18, 1904 at Embry AME Chapel, one of the first marriage services held there. The house they built in 1911 on Navahoe street still stands today. This image of him dates to 1915. He died in 1916. He was the father of George, John, Anderson, and Mary Weems and related to the Giles and Randall families. Many direct descendants through Anderson and Mary presently reside in Lakeland.
George G. Waters. teacher of Lucy Randall at Lakeland School
Lakeland's original one-room school building remained in use until 1917, when it was replaced by a two-classroom structure. This photograph shows students at the school with one of their teachers, George G. Waters, circa 1915.