College Park Aviation School From Aeroplane
Subject: Newman’s Lakeland
The Baltimore Sun November 4, 1907 Page 7 Henry Bishop owner of Aquariums in Lakeland, Maryland died. He worked to set up a zoo in Baltimore. Born in Germany Bishop was a seafarer before settling in Baltimore. As a youngster he gained a an interest in nature studies. His work included a time in the employ of P. T. Barnum. He built a business which sold more than 1.5 million goldfish a year and had what is thought to be the worlds largest fish breeding operation located in Lakeland. His company supplied fish to Battery Aquarium, New York, Detroit, National Zoo, Young’s Pier, Atlantic City, Luna Park in Pittsburg, and more.
Washington Post December 3, 2017 Page C3 John Kelly's Washington Henry Bishop, known as the “Gold Fish King” was a German immigrant who turned an interest in birds and fish into a successful business. His company sold the goldfish as well as aquariums, plants, ornaments, and food with the fish having their origin in Lakeland. Edwin Newman started his promotion of Lakeland with homes for sale on monthly payments. A main feature of the development was a park with Lake Artemisia. The lake was stocked with fish and outfitted with boats. Soon Mr. Bishop was using the body of water to raise his fish. In time there were about 25 acres of breeding ponds. The government also used pods in the area for breeding fish. A 1915 report detailed the excellent results of the operation in Lakeland. In Lakeland whites lived on the west while African Americans lived to the east. It is unclear when the use of fish ponds was discontinued. When the Metro’s Green Line was being built engineers realized the land in the are held sand and gravel which could’ve used for construction . One of their number Johann Sikkar proposed a cost saving measure of using that local gravel. Carrying out that plan resulted in a 38-acre park. Helping Hand Fundrasing campaign is underway to raise money for Bright Beginnings, N Street Village, and So Others Might Eat. The goal is $200,000 with $39,613 donated.
Showing Proposed Enlargement To 1,030 Acres- Exhibit to House Bill No. 27502 and Senate Bill No. 8108 Third Session 62nd Congress “A field of level land two & one half miles long and three-fourths of a mile wide, seven miles from the Capital building on the main line of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad between Washington and Baltimore. Four stations with sidings fronting on the property viz. Riverdale, College Park, Lakeland and Berwyn Electric railways and boulevards direct to Washington bordering the field on both sides” Third Session of 62nd Congress = 1912-1913
Evening Star News Article Lakeland Democratic Club Parade Edwin Newman will be directing a parade by the Lakeland Democratic club today. They will march the main streets of Washington DC. Members will meet at 4 o'clock. The group completed a tour of major southern Maryland towns on Saturday.
Evening Star May 29 1906 p 1 Will Depart Tomorrow- The Vising Indian Prince Much Pleased With His Visit. Tomorrow His highness the Maharaja Gaekwar of Baroda and his wife will leave Washington to go to Philadelphia. He described his time in Washington as “one of the most interesting visits in any city of any country”. After a two day stay in Philadelphia their highnesses will go to Boston then on to western states. During their visit in our region the maharaja gave a short address at National Park Seminary. The pair attended a dinner hosted by the French ambassador and Mme. Jusserand. He made a visit to the Smithsonian Museum and was given an automobile tour of various parks by Senator and Mrs. Elkins. They visited a reform school on Sunday morning accompanied by Shimont Sampatrao Gaekiyard. The group later visited the Maryland Agricultural College. President of the Aquarium Fisheries of Lakeland in Prince Georges county Maryland, Edward A. Newman took them to his facility for a visit. They seemed very interested in what they saw and had numerous questions. The maharajah said he had decided to establish a similar facility in India. The group next went to Luray caverns.
Includes details of facilities on train line. Covers Lakeland, Berwyn, Branchville, and Daniel’s Park. Shown are indicators of a water tower near the lake and station signs between Cloud Avenue and Pierce Avenue. The map also lists acquisition information for railroad property. Lakeland is shown along with the location’s mileage designation, 1149+657 and is marked Lakeland Platforms, other notations include Berwyn Station, and Branchville Station.
District 16, Hyattsville
Evening Star Newspaper Article Early Completion of Columbia and Maryland Electric Road Detailed Description of the System Power House and Plant Being Constructed at Lakeland Location of powerhouse is thanks to the efforts of Edwin Newman. Article covers two whole columns.
Gives facilities and land acquisition information for Lakeland, Berwyn, Branchville . Other information is given including identification of buildings and names of property owners for land adjacent to railroad land. Map shows changes in street names, the addition of an area next to Lakeland called Paint Branch and Lakeland Platforms does not appear on the map. A listing of facility changes is also given. Notations s show a “Fish House” adjacent to the rail lane at the location of “fish platforms”. The platforms were retired in 1931. This is a revision to the 1918 survey and contains a notations on property transfers for each area beginning with the company's acquisition of the property noted.
Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Time-Table 21 Shows Lakeland as a flag stop available several times a day. For example the 76:20 train leaving Baltimore’s Camden Station had stops in Branchville at 7:22, Berwyn at 7:23, Lakeland at 7:24, College at 7:26, and Riverdale at 7:28. Branchville and Berwyn were station stops where the others were flag stops where passengers were required to request the that the train stop.
Washington Post Page 14 Outside of the City Limits Millions Have Been Invested A Comprehensive Review of the Marvelous Development Which is in Progress Around the Nations Capital Edwin A. Newman owner of Lakeland named the lake in honor of his wife. The lake covers an area of 7 acres and is 5 feet deep. It is fed by more than 100 springs and a 20 inch pipe from Paint Branch. The lake was created 20 years ago by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad when they harvested gravel for ballast. Newman improved the site as a lake. He is now developing the surrounding area as a twelve and a half acre park. This will include stocking the lake with about 10,000 bass, adding plants and pleasure boats. Sidewalks and an electric light plant will be added and there is a post office. A weekly newspaper will be published. Improvements are valued at $135,000 with $65,000 more improvements expected in the l next 8 months. Listed are some of the community’s residents and property owners.
The Baltimore Sun Page 9 April 16, 1900 A home owned by Mr. Newman and Charles Scobell burned yesterday. They were two of the best and largest homes in Lakeland. Both were empty as residents had moved out. The fires were noticed about 1 am and could not be saved.
Washington Post April 16, 1900 Page 9 Suspensions of Indignation - One House Blazes Up While Frist is Burning About 1:00 in the morning a nice unoccupied cottage in Lakeland was discovered to be on fire. While attempts were being made to save part of the building it another home about 300 yards away was discovered to be burning as well. It is believed that the fires were intentional. The residences had been vacant for weeks. Colored people were angry that they were unable to rent the homes as only whites tenants were welcome. The cottages had been built by Mr. E. A. Newman and were owned by a trust company located in Philadelphia. Both home valued at a total of $2,000 were insured against loss. A careful investigation of the fire will be made.
Evening Star Page June 21, 1890 Plans have been completed by architect, Arthur M. Poynton for two cottages to be built in Lakeland by Edwin A. Newman. They are modish in exteriors as to allow more expensive for inclusion of large well lite spaces at modest cost. Mr. Newman plans to build a number of these homes. Their selling price will be about $1,500 each.
Washington Post Ad More homes at Lakeland 6 to 10 room cottages costing $2,200 to $4,500.
Washington Post Citizens Claim to Have Been Defrauded in a Real Estate Deal Charles S. Zange and Joseph W. Zimmerman sued Edwin A. Newman and John H. Flanggan charging the four lots they purchased in Lakeland were misrepresented. They understood the lots to be on a plateau. Upon seeing the land they found the lots to be in a hollow and to to be particularly made up of a creek. Zange and Zimmerman are asking the court to cancel the sale and note and that their payment be refunded to them. The land is in Lakeland an area formally known as West Charlton.
Evening Star February 12 1904 p 16 Washington Branch Changes Changes to schedule of trains on Baltimore and Ohio Railroad effective at once: Local trains will leave Washington at 4:43 pm rather than 4:40 pm. Tran leaving Washington at 5:20 PM will stop at Brentwood, Riverdale, Lakeland, Berwyn and Sunnyside as well as the regular schedule.
Evening Star January 7 1895 page 10 Newspaper Column Hyattsville This column contains many news items for the region. Only that directly related to Lakeland is noted here. Young ladies and gentlemen from Hyattsville went ice skating on the lake in Lakeland last Saturday evening.
Evening Star January 17 1894 Newspaper Special Notice Second Grand Entertainment and Ball Hosted by Lakeland Knights of Pythias Lodge on Thursday January 18 1894. Talented entertainers are booked for the event and there will be good rail arrangements. The entertainment starts at 7:30 and dancing at 10:00 pm. Those with tickets from December 27, 1893 will be admitted. Music will be provided by Prof. Joyce and their orchestra.
By the Aquarium Fisheries Company of Prince George’s County MD