8200 Rhode Island Avenue Leonard Smith and Mamie McCorkle
William Hill and Earlene Williams
Located on Rhode Island Avenue
With the limited access African Americans had to public spaces until the 1960s, this building on western Navahoe Street was forced to serve a multitude of functions. It was designated “Lakeland’s Hall” because it served as an informal community center as well as a place for public meetings, dances, wedding receptions, and church services. On Saturday, it became a movie theater. The building is shown here circa 1965. This hall replaced an earlier structure that was located in the central section of the community.
Calvert F & Mary Long Service Station 8141 Baltimore Ave Block 16 Lots 3,4,5,6,7,10 & 11 Project Parcel 22-2
The intersection of Rhode Island Avenue, Lakeland Road, and Navahoe Street was the hub of Lakeland. Electric streetcars connected the community with the District of Columbia from 1895 until 1962. Mack’s Market, Black’s Store, the Elks Home, Lakeland Hall, and Miss Waller’s Beauty parlor were located near the streetcar stop. Black’s Store, shown here circa 1969, was owned by Charles Black. It had four apartments, a dry cleaners, and a beauty parlor, along with a store that sold groceries and snacks. With a lunch counter and juke box, the establishment became a popular place for teens to gather, eat, dance, and enjoy being together.
Streetcar right of way is in view
Across the street from Black's Store and Mack's Market. In the home to the right in the lower level was the beauty shop of Mrs. Waller
At Sis's Tavern in Brentwood. His wife was the proprietor
J. Chesley Mack, sometimes referred to as the unofficial mayor of Lakeland, operated Mack’s Market on Rhode Island Avenue. It was a general store with an ice cream counter and billiard parlor on the main floor, and rental apartments on the second floor. Mack also worked as a chef at the University of Maryland and served as Lakeland’s City Council representative from 1945 until 1957.
Mack's Market after a fire
Mack's Market store with apartments above
At Baltimore Avenue and Navahoe Street
Front on Baltimore Avenue
Rear and side views 5030 Navahoe Street Property owned by Bessie Mack, John Chesley Mack, Jr & Julia E. Carroll. After the fire in the building.
Located on the corner of Lakeland Road and Rhode Island Avenue. It was a neighbored store with lunch counter and a jukebox. The building included apartment units and at times a dry cleaners and hair stylist.
Urban Renewal Parcel 8 Block 15 5001-5007 Lakeland Rd. Notes include "Reports made good living from store. Apt living room, kitchen bath and 1 bedroom. (3) store + 5 apts rent was $68.50 landlord paid water."
Drawing of building
Property at Baltimore Avenue
Navahoe Street at Lakeland Tavern after heavy rain. Note the drain pipe which emptied directly into the street
Collection of ice from branch. Gathering of people at lake for ice skating. Washington Post
Image taken at Sis's Tavern
Washington Evening Star Ad seeking a farm hand for wages of $40 a month plus room, and board. Contact Pleasant Brown, Lakeland
Washington Evening Star Ad Three stacks of hay for sale by Pleasant Brown, Lakeland, Prince George's County
Washington Evening Star Ad Vegetable plants for sale contact Pleasant Brown at his Lakeland residence.
Image of store at location on Navahoe Street
Evening Star December 22, 1926 page 3 Ad "Get your holly, by golly" Advertising the sale of holly, Christmas trees and wreaths on sale 5 miles from the District on Washington-Baltimore boulevard by Pleasant Brown of Lakeland
Home contained hair salon on lower level for many years.