Image from Lakeland High School yearbook
Subject: Rosenwald Schools
Lakeland School 1st Grade report card of Jean Ann Gray from 1940-41 school year. Gray attended the single race elementary school located on Winnipeg Street in the eastern section of Lakeland. The school was a "Rosenwald School" built in 1925.
Cast of School program "Wedding of the Painted Doll" at Lakeland School
graduating class of 1950. Senior photos continued.
The section B class photo, with the student faculty. Class of 1950
Class with principal, Edgar Smith
Lakeland Junior- Senior High School 1948 Yearbook
Year end program for dance classes sponsored by Prince George's County Recreation Department at Lakeland Elementary School, Event held in school's multi purpose room.
Jean Ann Gray 1st grade report card as student at Lakeland Elementary School
Lakelander yearbook page
Lakelander 1948 Yearbook
Celebration at Lakeland Elementary School.
Classes held at Lakeland Elementary School by Prince Georges County Recreation Department
Lakeland Jr. Sr. High School 1947-48 for Jean Gray
Lakelander yearbook page
Ninth Grade shown on page of Lakelander yearbook
These students are ready for a beach trip. Their teacher offered the outing as a reward to those earning top points in her classroom behavior program. Pictured are front left to right ?, Danny Parker, Joy Sharps behind Karen Sampson, Alison Sampson, Patricia Campbell and rear Delphine Gross and Myra Howard
1947 Lakelander yearbook page
Little New Zion Fire Baptized Holiness Church of the Americas building was erected as a Rosenwald school, Lakeland Elementary School. In 1950 when high school classes in Lakeland were transferred to Fairmont Heights High the younger grades moved from this building to the old high school on 54th Avenue.
This Rosenwald high school building served as a junior/senior high school from 1928 until 1950, and an elementary school until 1972. Through that time it also served many of the functions of a community recreation center with the county sometimes hosting classes or summer playground programs at the facility. For a short time in the late 1960s to early 1970s there was even a swimming pool erected. For a time swimming lessons were available to the community's children. In addition to county programs the community and school staff hosted other recreation programs. At times University of Maryland affiliated groups also offered programs at the school building.
School yard with basketball players
Lakeland High School in two images top 1930 bottom 1938
Snack time at Lakeland Elementary School's kindergarten class during the 1965-66 school year. One class member, Maxine Gross reports "there was always milk and graham crackers".
Recital at Lakeland Elementary School for classes sponsored as recreation program at the school.
Built in 1926 as Lakeland Elementary School, this building in 1958 became home to Little New Zion Fire-Baptized Holiness Church of God of the Americas. A portion of the building contained an apartment, where the family of James and Anna Smith lived for years. Both the family and congregation were displaced with the coming of urban renewal. The congregation, now Greater New Zion Fire-Baptized Holiness Church of God of the Americas, is located in West Lanham, Maryland.
Lot 6, Block 35 Possibly Walter W. Bey
Ready for school special event at Lakeland School
Lakelander yearbook image
Maxine Gross First Grade Lakeland Elementary School
Lakeland Elementary School with basketball players on the school's court.
Lakeland School yearbook
1940-1950 school year