Eliza E. Gray, James Henry Gray's wife. They lived in Berwyn, where their eldest son was born in 1896, after which they moved to Lakeland and became active church members.
Subject: Before 1920
Plat of property lines in Lakeland showing developer Edwin Newman's grand plan for his new subdivision.
Navahoe Street at Berwyn House Road and Rhode Island Avenue named in honor of Lakeland Resident
James Henry Gray, born 1865 in Calvert County, MD, moved to Lakeland in the late 1890s after the birth of his eldest son. He was noted for his pious attitude - his granddaughter recalls him making the family pray before going to church on Sundays!
The home of Benjamin Hicks and his wife, Annie L. Terry Hicks, was located on Washington Street (now Lakeland Road) next to the old Lakeland High School. The Hickses rented rooms to those in the community and welcomed visiting ministers. The house was demolished during the early 1960s.
Lake Artemesia was initially dug in the mid-nineteenth century by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad to retrieve gravel for use as ballast. It was later developed for recreational use by Edwin A. Newman in the 1890s. The lake was a center of recreation for the community, with swimming and fishing in summer and skating in winter. The lake was also the site of breeding ponds for the Baltimore Goldfish Company and later the U.S. Bureau of Fisheries.
George Randall, Ellen Hunter Randall, and their three eldest children--Lucy, Dessie, and Victor, left to right--in about 1913.
Alfred Gross and Horace Brooks are pictured with a horse believed to be owned by Ferdinand Hughes, an uncle of Gross.