Subject: Central Lakeland - Conservation Area
Lot 4 Block13 Parcel 20 8112 51st Ave Alsie Nickens & Elsie White
8111 51st Street Page 1
On this lot for many years was an electric power substation. After its removal the Smith family relocated to a house moved to this site. Their new home had been owned by the Pitts family. That house had been located in the western area of Lakeland. Urban renewal records show there were other homes which were candidates for being moved. It is unclear why other houses were not moved.
5001-5007 Lakeland Rd Parcel 15/8
At dedication of James Adams Park
5100 Pierce Av George and Rosie Gross
Jennifer Campbell In her family home on Navahoe Street
Two seated on the porch of the Gray family home located on the corner of 54th Avenue and Pierce Avenue
Urban Renewal Parcel 8 Block 15 5001-5007 Lakeland Rd
At Lakeland Road as it crossed 54th Avenue. The road came to a dead end just after crossing the tracks. This crossing was used to access the eastern part of the Lakeland community. On the western side of the tracks was the central area (conservation) area of the urban renewal project while the eastern side was slated for demolition under the plan
Teas were a favorite social activity for the ladies of Lakeland. These events were sometimes held in the churches as fundraising activities, but most often they were social occasions in homes. Each hostess took great pride in her ability to set a fine table. Pictured here is one such gathering at the home of George Henry and Agnes Gross. Their guests are, left to right, Maria Lomax Dory, Fannie Williams, Annabelle Stroud, Ellen Lomax Briscoe, and Ellen Randall Gray.
The intersection of Rhode Island Avenue, Lakeland Road, and Navahoe Street was the hub of Lakeland. Electric streetcars connected the community with the District of Columbia from 1895 until 1962. Mack’s Market, Black’s Store, the Elks Home, Lakeland Hall, and Miss Waller’s Beauty parlor were located near the streetcar stop. Black’s Store, shown here circa 1969, was owned by Charles Black. It had four apartments, a dry cleaners, and a beauty parlor, along with a store that sold groceries and snacks. With a lunch counter and juke box, the establishment became a popular place for teens to gather, eat, dance, and enjoy being together.
Across the street from Black's Store and Mack's Market. In the home to the right in the lower level was the beauty shop of Mrs. Waller
The Christmas season served as portrait-taking time for Diane Weems and her younger brother, Donald Weems (Kuwasi Balagoon). This picture was taken around 1950 in the living room of the family home on Navahoe Street.
Located at 5018 Lakeland Rd
Wilmer Gros on the grounds of the home of her in-laws, George Henry and Agnes Gross on Cloud Avenue
electric power station located Lakeland Road and 54th Avenue, Lakeland
5108 Pierce Ave Urban Renewal Parcel 18 Block 16 FEMA Trailer - Home on site was destroyed by storm. Also shows Pierce Ave after construction of Paint Branch Elementary.
5017 Lakeland Rd Lot 5 Lot 4 Urban Renewal Parcel 3 Block 15
Through the early 1970s, the home was the center of extended-family festivities, including Christmas dinners and Fourth of July fireworks. Pictured are, left to right, Barnett, Mildred holding Lester, Linda, DeWana, Myron, Jean holding Cheryl, and Clarence Jr. By 1954, this branch of the Gray family tree also included Tanya, Zandra, James, and Benay.
Baby Donald Weems on Navahoe Street with friends at Ice Cream Truck
4800 Lakeland Rd West 69 ft. of Lot 10 in Block 12 Harold W. and Julia Pitts Project Parcel 12 block 24 Home was moved to a site on Western Lakeland Rd
5002 Navahoe Street Parcel Number Part of 20-2 Block 16 Part of lots 9 & 10 Willie & Mary E. Sellars
This Navahoe Street residence was built around 1900 and is believed to be one of the original houses built by Lakeland developer Edwin Newman. This house was once home for Leonhard and Elizabeth Exel, German immigrants who were the last white family to leave the community in the late 1940s. The home was purchased by Thomas and Agnes Randall in 1951. Since that time it has sheltered three generations of their family. The home was a frequent gathering place for the youngsters of Lakeland.
5017 Lakeland Rd Parcel 15-3 Thelma Fulcher
Birthday celebration for James Henry Gray
Ellen Randall Gray's birthday celebration Mrs Gray is at the head of the table seated to her left is Suzie Brooks. Standing are Jeanette Brooks, Agnes Randall, Shirley Randall Anderson, Dessie Randall Thomas
Located on the corner of Lakeland Road and Rhode Island Avenue. It was a neighbored store with lunch counter and a jukebox. The building included apartment units and at times a dry cleaners and hair stylist.
The Voices of Embry Choir performing during Sunday service as part of Lakeland Heritage Weekend on September 22, 2008. Choir members are, from left to right, Valerie Hill, Jeanette Williams, Abigail Cohen, Ethel Lockerman, and Diann Sims-Dwight. (Photograph courtesy of Christopher Anderson/The Gazette)
Taken from Lakeland High School yearbook
Urban Renewal Parcel 8 Block 15 5001-5007 Lakeland Rd. Notes include "Reports made good living from store. Apt living room, kitchen bath and 1 bedroom. (3) store + 5 apts rent was $68.50 landlord paid water."