In 1901, the First Baptist Church purchased a parcel of land from church deacon John C. Johnson, and the church was relocated to its current location on Lakeland Road. This move proved beneficial to the community when the church was able to provide needed classroom space for the overcrowded Lakeland Elementary School. Here, members of the Junior Choir posed in front of the church with their pastor, Rev. J. A. Franklin, center, circa 1945.
The community of Lakeland and its members want to preserve its history by and through LHP. The project members plan to display artifacts from collections every year and preserve the past.